It is unbelievably snowy outside. Getting to class this morning was an absolute slog and in order to avoid “snowflake to face syndrome”, the entire walk (both ways) was spent with my face perpendicular to the pavement. This was probably a good thing seeing as the enormous piles of fluffy white goodness, although beautiful and pictorial, can cause trippage when not tackled properly. This kind of weather does not make me want to write essays, which I am currently avoiding like the plague, but curl up in bed and watch a movie.
5 Movies I Recommend:
1. Closer (2004): It’s definitely a talking heads movie, and I think Julia Roberts was miscast, and all of the characters are horrible people but I think that’s why I like it, strange enough. It’s about miserable people. And I would kill to be in the play (which is better than the movie).
2. Harvey (1950): Liz recommended this one to me and it’s fantastic, not Its a Wonderful Life fantastic, but still really top notch. It has James Stewart in it, you really can’t go wrong with James Stewart.
3. A Single Man (2010): The story is alright. Its not particularly inspiring and I found it to be predictable, but good lord is the rest of it good. The score is amazing, the cinematography is great, they do this thing with the coloring that blew my mind and the costumes are fabulous. This is fashion guru Tom Ford’s first foray into direction and I think he did a bang up job. Colin Firth is also fantastic.
4. A Philadelphia Story (1940): Katherine Hepburn, Cary Grant, James Stewart. Perfection.
5. Up (2009): If you haven’t seen Up, I have no idea why not. Don’t let the animation thing fool you, it’s a really fine film. I bawl like a baby. Everything about it is just so good. Classic in the making.
and if you’re looking for television to watch: “Long Way Down”, “Long Way Round”, “Freeks and Geeks” (everyone should see this), “Undeclared”.
5 Movies I Want to See:
Revolutionary Road, Trainspotting, Two For the Road, Avatar, Howl.